What’s better than having one hobby? Having two hobbies! If you are into action figures and art, you surely wondered how you could paint your little figurines to polish them a little bit and make them look better. You might also want to add your spark to them, because why not?
If you are nodding in agreement, this article is for you. We will talk at length about the best paint for action figures so that you are able to buy what you like without breaking a sweat.
Best Paint For Action Figures – Which One Should You Choose?
The world of paints is deep and intense. There are too many choices, and they can be confusing. So, which type of paint should you use to paint your plastic action figures?
The answer is acrylic. You can use acrylic paint on all plastic figurines and toys without worrying about anything. Acrylic is safe and will give you the expected results. We advise that you apply thin coats very carefully and then seal the paint with a good sealer.
Many hobbyists would also recommend a primer before applying the paint.
Note: Always start painting the hardest areas/parts of the miniatures and then move to the easy ones.
Now, we shall walk you through our favorite choices. They are curated based on reviews and specific criteria, giving you the liberty to directly buy the product you like. No additional research needed!
1. Vallejo Basic USA Colors Paint Set
The Vallejo paint set is an Amazon’s Choice product, which is fairly priced. It is a set of assorted colors that you can use for various purposes including painting toys. Let’s take a closer look:
- The colors have permanent pigments that can withstand dishwashers.
- They are opaque and lightfast.
- The colors have even consistency, allowing you to paint smoothly without worrying about smudges or paint strokes.
- These are water-based colors and can easily adhere to plastic, metal, etc.
- All colors are bright, vibrant, and very easy to mix.
2. The Army Painter Dungeons and Dragons Official Paint Line Set
Dungeons and Dragons fans unite! This paint set has been formulated especially for you. It is the official Adventurer’s Paint Set and you should no further due to the following reasons:
- These are 10 water-based acrylic paints along with a metallic and a brush-on primer. You will also find a high-quality brush in the pack.
- The colors are completely non-toxic.
- The bottles are made such that there’s no danger of spilling.
- You can squeeze out the exact amount of paint needed and then close the bottle using a twister cap. It ensures that the paint doesn’t dry out.
- These are heavy pigments with a rich and creamy consistency.
3. Game Injection Hobby Model Build-Your-Own Assortment
Here’s a very interesting option for you – a customizable set of paints. This means that you have the freedom to pick 5 paints that you want instead of settling for the options boxed sets give. Let’s find out more:
- You can choose any 5 paints that you wish and you will receive a brush alongside.
- You can also choose the type of brush you require to paint your figurine.
- Citadel paints are best known for their quality.
- They are easy to use and provide bright and consistent results.
- The order process is convenient and user-friendly.
4. Miniatures Paint Set – 18ml/bottle
The Army Painter Store is very popular among enthusiasts and hobbyists. That’s why its products are often featured on Amazon. This set of 10 bottles has the following features:
- These are non-toxic acrylic paints that give a neat, metallic finish.
- They come with a brush that’s made of high-quality synthetic hair.
- The highlighting brush makes room for excellent detailing and easy application.
- They come with a complimentary miniature wash.
- The consistency of each paint is perfect – not thin or thick.
- Shake the bottle well before use and you will squeeze the paint with ease.
5. Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set
Whether you are an accomplished artist or a beginner, the Castle Art Supplies Paint Set will impress you with all that it includes. More details are as follows:
- You get 24 paint tubes, 12 ml each in a neat display box.
- They are smooth and easy to use on plastic, metal, and other surfaces.
- The tubes are sturdy and do not crack or allow the paint to dry as long as the cap is on.
- The boxed set comes with a tutorial that makes it easy to use the paints.
- These are pure pigments that you can use smoothly with palette knives and brushes.
- They glaze wonderfully without any traces of strokes.
Didn’t we tell you we’d make it easy for you to pick the best paint for action figures? We hope we lived up to our word! All the recommendations above are tried & tested, which means that you can take our word and go ahead with the purchase. If you need additional assistance, you can always reach out to us.